Small pouches






Made: September 2017


My daughter often goes for playdates and outings with her friends. I wanted to say thank you, and wanted it to be something unique. I decided I would make some matching things for the three girls. I considered skirts and bags. Then on purses. Initially they were to be coin purses, but these needed zips sewn in. So pouches it was.


They don't look like a lot of work went into them! But they took a fair bit of time. I love the end product. My one regret is not getting more photos, showing the linings - each girl got a different colour of polka dot fabric, chosen by my daughter.






This was the tutorial I used:
http://birdandlittlebird.typepad.com/blog/2010/03/tutorial-easy-pocket-pouch.html
It was straightforward to follow, really liked it.


My daughter chose the exterior fabric and a set of fat quarters for the interiors at Hobbycraft. To give them structure I ironed interfacing between the two layers of fabric. At least, the second time I did. The first time, I ironed the interfacing to the iron.Hmmm.


I'd not used interfacing before, bt I am completely sold on it for giving something more structure.



Because the pouches were to be for someone other than family, I decided to make test versions. Very glad I did, I learned a lot of lessons - not least to do test runs!

The test run taught me two things at this point:
1. don't move the iron around while you stick the interfacing, otherwise you end up with some weird creases permanently ironed into the fabric.
2. having never made anything with an inner lining before, it takes a bit of time to work out how to stitch two layers of fabric together with interfacing in the middle.

But I'm so pleased with the end result! And so were the recipients!












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Owltini cape

Getting started